An Early Valentine's Dinner

We both agreed that tonight's dinner was a delicious treat.  I'm counting this as my Valentine's offering.  We might have leftovers on the day itself. :-)

Mizuna and Potato Salad

Mizuna greens are an Asian green, available this week at my organic produce outlet, Love Grows Farms in Mesa.  Small red potatoes were also available, so I made this salad which we've had before and liked a lot.

1 bunch fresh Mizuna greens (use arugula as an alternative)
1/2 pound small red potatoes
1 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. dry mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese

Wash  the potatoes and cut into quarters or eighths, depending upon size.  Put into boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.

Wash and dry the green.  Remove stems and chop .

In a jar with a lid place the oil, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic.  Shake to mix.

Put the greens in a bowl.  When the potatoes are done, drain and then put into bowl with greens. Pour the dressing over and toss.  Add the Parmesan cheese.  The hot potatoes will wilt the greens and melt the cheese slightly.


Lamb Chops with Raspberry and Port Sauce

Lamb chops were on sale at the grocery store, so I bought a package.  (They may not meet my "healthy" criteria, but certainly were "quick" to prepare.)  I seasoned the chops with sea salt and fresh ground pepper and grilled them for about 5 minutes per side.

In a small microwavable dish I put 3 T. raspberry preserves and 1 T. port, mixed well.  Microwaved for 20 seconds.  Glazed the chops with the sauce.  Delicious!


Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

Large, beautiful strawberries were on sale at the markets for Valentine's Day.  I washed and dried 8 of them.  In a microwavable dish, I put 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate (or use chocolate chips).  Microwave to melt, about 30-60 seconds total, but after each 15-20 seconds, stop and stir to be sure you don't burn the chocolate.  Hold a strawberry by the stem and roll in the dish of chocolate.  Lay down on a piece of waxed paper to cool.  (The advertised sale price for chocolate dipped strawberries was about $1.25 each.  They are so easy to make and are much less expensive to make at home!)

Both my Valentine and I enjoyed our dinner and elegant dessert. :-)



Comments

Popular Posts