Perfect Morning Oatmeal

My sister visited recently and said the oatmeal I made was the best she had eaten.  I don't think the brand matters as much as the cooking method.  While instant oatmeal is a passable alternative when time is critical, and the microwave or rice cooker are quick and easy methods, nothing beats old fashioned oatmeal cooked on the stove.  I buy oatmeal (not instant) in bulk and select organic when possible.  Here is the cooking method I recommend.

For one serving:

  1. Bring 1 cup water to boil in a saucepan.
  2. Add 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and a pinch of salt, if desired.  Stir.
  3. Turn burner to low and simmer the oats for 5 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat, cover the pan, and let sit for another 5 minutes.
  5. Serve with your choice of toppings:  brown sugar, chopped nuts, dried fruit, bananas, blueberries, milk, etc.
  6. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts